Facilities and activities
The vision of the school is to remove obstacles and enable access to learning with a holistic and child-centred approach, taking into account academic, social, physical and emotional aspects of a child’s development.
The guiding aims of The Milestone School include engaging positively in the community and preparing pupils for an adult life with a focus on being able to communicate, to be understood, to solve problems and to cope with new situations.
Who will use the Chamwell Centre?
Milestone School pupils will access all the facilities of the Chamwell Centre during the school day in term time. At all other times, the Chamwell Centre will be available for:
- children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
- adults with disabilities
The Chamwell Centre will provide a very wide range of therapies delivered by highly experienced professionals who consider the individual needs of each person so that therapy brings about the maximum benefit.
But coming to the Chamwell Centre will be far more than coming for a clinic-style treatment. There will be resources for carers and siblings, a café where people can meet, resources for training and education, as well as opportunities for recreational activities and All Ability Athletics.
Hoists with ceiling tracking will ensure that young people with all forms of disability will be able to access the changing facilities and therapy areas, including the hydrotherapy pool.
- Hydrotherapy pool and pool-side gym
- Two-storey therapeutic soft play area
- Trampolining gym for rebound therapy
- Interactive climbing wall
- Multi-use therapy, consultation rooms and community space
- Sensory facilities and quiet room
- Community café with Changing Places bathroom
- Outdoor multi-use sports area suitable for wheelchair users
Specialist therapeutic support
- occupational therapists
- speech and language therapists
- music therapists