Facilities for hire
The Chamwell Centre facilities will be available for hire by individuals, families, community groups and professionals.
During the school term, Milestone pupils will have full access to all the facilities. After school, during the evening, at weekends and during school holidays, the Centre Manager will take bookings for the following facilities:
- Hydrotherapy pool and pool-side gym – available for physiotherapists to work with adults with arthritis, neuromuscular difficulties or neurological conditions.
- Soft play area – can be booked by families for parties, especially families with a disabled young person, so that siblings and friends can all take part in shared activities.
- Multi-purpose therapy rooms – three rooms can be combined to make a larger space for parties, community clubs such as cubs or guides, and training rooms for educational sessions provided by professionals.
- Outside play – as well as wheelchair accessible playgrounds, there will be an exciting garden with obstacles, climbing equipment, slides, balance beams, stepping stones, and places for dens or just to sit.
- Holiday clubs – these will be an extension of the holiday club activities scheme already provided by The Milestone School as well as offering opportunities for other groups to make bookings and use the facilities.
- Changing Places toilet rooms – these toilet rooms are life-changing facilities for those with multiple and complex disabilities who have one or two assistants.
What will the Chamwell Centre achieve?
- More children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities will take part in therapeutic, sporting and social events and fulfil their potential.
- More families will be brought together through all-ability sports and social events.
- Wider communities affected by disability will access our community café and Chamwell Centre events.
- Strong partnerships will be built with local schools, businesses and charities as well as health and social care services.
- The Centre will be used by The Milestone School between 9am and 3.30pm during term time. At other times – weekends, evenings and school holidays – the Centre Manager will be available to take bookings.
We have consulted widely in Gloucestershire and already have interest from the following:
The Pied Piper Appeal – helping to fund our outside play area and the soft play centre for the benefit of sick and disabled children throughout the county.
Gloucestershire Disability Fund – helping to fund the building of the atrium with its community café and state-of-the-art disability changing facilities.
Gloucestershire Arthritis Trust – supporting the Chamwell Centre hydrotherapy pool appeal as a valuable county-wide resource for adults with arthritis.
Gloucestershire Community Foundation – providing specialist RaceRunner tricycles that are in use every week at The Milestone School.
Wooden Spoon Charity – raising funds to build a multi-use games area to be shared with Longlevens Rugby Football Club and The Milestone School.
Muscular Dystrophy Society – a hydrotherapy group for affected children will start in 2017.
Disability groups – offering facilities for children and adults.
Parents and families – booking soft play and swimming for parties and providing opportunities for disabled children to play with their non-disabled siblings, peers and friends.
Community groups – booking the centre to hold meetings.
Social care – providing facilities for young people and adults to have respite care with their personal assistants.
Physiotherapists – developing physiotherapy services by offering hydrotherapy at the centre.